Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Bule, Bule!

One of these things is not like the others. 

One of these things just doesn't belong. 

Can you tell which thing is not like the others, 

By the time I finish my song?





In Indonesia, there is a special word for foreigners  - Bule.
We have found that, at times, we even get the "special" Bule pricing and get to pay more for things than those that do not stand out in appearance!  Most of us have gotten used to being stared at when we go places.  Dustin is the exception.  It seems that Bule children are especially interesting to look at, talk to and touch.  He is not fond of the attention and typically shrinks behind me when others try to touch him.  One man found him in a particularly good mood;  When he tried to touch Dustin's cheeks, Dustin firmly told him to "STOP IT!"  I was very embarrassed, but luckily the man did not speak any English!  

Last weekend, while spending a little time at a museum, a group of 20-30 high school aged girls approached Dustin and me with their cameras.  I interpreted their Bahasa and gestures to mean that they wanted me to take a picture of their group.  I agreed, put my camera away and learned that what they really wanted was a picture WITH Dustin and me.  Apparently they wanted proof of the strange things they saw at the museum.  I wish I had thought to get a picture with my own camera, but was so shocked it didn't cross my mind until after they left! I can only imagine what it will be like for a true Bule celebrity, like Ed Hochuli, to visit us!


No comments:

Post a Comment