Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Top Ten Reasons to Live Abroad During an Election Year

4th of July Parade - Durango, Colorado USA
#10 - International Election Coverage - Who doesn't enjoy a good political story with a British accent?

#9 - No political signs littering every corner!

#8 - Online Voting...Seriously, I think it is easier to vote from Indonesia than the US.  Once we were registered as voters living abroad, we were able to print, sign, and scan our ballots to be submitted online (The only downside was that we didn't get the cool stickers - I'd make my own if only I could find somewhere to buy tape!).

#7 - No campaign fliers in my mailbox!

#6 - No mudslinging commercials pointing out the opponents flaws but failing to address any real political issues!

#5 - 14 Hour Time Difference - I can go to bed just as the speculation coverage begins and wake up in the morning just as the real numbers start coming in!

#4 - No Robocalls!

#3 - Did I mention no mudslinging?!?!?

#2 - A New Perspective - Our driver asked me today if Obama was better or Romney.  I chuckled and told him that it was a constant debate in our household and that Chris and I were on different sides (Don't worry - I like the better candidate (-;).  Pak Firman simply stated, "It is your right to make your own choice."  The first Indonesian President to be elected directly by the people of Indonesia took office in 2004.  This means they have only had 2 fully democratic elections in the history of the country.  I have voted in more Presidential elections then our driver who has 5 kids and 2 grandkids...

And the #1 Reason to Live Abroad During an Election Year - Being American and having the right to vote - even while living 10,000 miles away!!!  Thank you to anyone and everyone who has ever sacrificed to give us this right! 

No comments:

Post a Comment